Monday, January 5, 2009

Top Movies of 2008 (10-6)

Continuing my last post, read on....

10. Pineapple Express
-Second best comedy of 2008. James Franco owns this role as a stoner. A throwback to the days of "Freaks and Geeks." He didn't quite play a stoner then, but a similar character. And Danny McBride, again, amazing. He really is turning into a gem. David Gordon Green really brings this movie to another level though. He provides a different insight to the comedy genre, and really shoots the action scenes with great poise, letting each scene develop.

9. Eagle Eye
-Just flat out fun. The plot, not great. Acting, eh. But a great action movie that just keeps you on the edge of your seat. I thoroughly enjoyed myself in this movie, as should you. Great popcorn flick.

8. The Reader
-Kate Winslet's best performance of 2008. Easily. David Kross, a new comer, is outstanding, matching Winslet pound for pound each scene. He's only 18 but he shows here that he has a very promising career ahead of him. This movie just kept hanging around in my head for days after I watched it. Very controversial, but very, very good. The topic and plot of the film might turn people off but I believe it is a movie definitely worth seeing. I really can't stress how great Kate Winslet is in this movie. She's nominated for a Golden Globe in this role for Best Supporting Actress. She should definitely win. As well as earn a nomination and win at the Oscars.

7. Gran Torino
-Clint Eastwood is a man. A man's man. Plain and simple. If you want to see a man on screen, go see this movie. Great story of redemption, that almost went the route of "Unforgiven." I'm very glad it didn't. Also, this movie turned out to be the surprise comedy of the year. I use the word comedy lightly because it's not a comedy at all. But this movie had me consistenly laughing at all the racial slurs that were thrown back and forth. I don't know if they made up most of those slurs, but I didn't know over half of them. The Hmong people in this movie were mostly newcomers to the screen, and I really think that added to the realism of the movie.

6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
-The best comedy of the year. Another cog in the Judd Apatow wheel. This movie, although not written or directed by Apatow, is up there with the likes of Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin. Jason Segal proves he has what it takes to be a leading man in a comedy. I've had a soft spot for Kristen Bell since her two episode stint in Deadwood and the great, underwatched show Veronica Mars (one of my all-time favorite shows), and she doesn't disappoint. The scene that really gave this movie life was when she was crying to Jason Segal's character after he found out she was cheating on him for a year. That scene really gave the movie a backbone. Mila Kunis didn't annoy me in this movie, which was good because she annoys me in everything else.

For the rest of my list, check back in a bit!

No comments: